vim & kde questions

Hi all,

After using another distribution for over 12 years, I've decided to give
Debian Etch a good try.  I've now got the luxury of having a second computer
to try things on, so I've installed Debian on that and hope to move
everything else over shortly.  Right now, I've got two annoyances that I'd
like to solve.

First...vim.  (Yeah, I'm old school)  OK.  I'm in text entry mode and I want
to navagate up/down/left or right.  If I press an arrow key, a new line is
opened and a character ("B" or "D" or ...) is put in the first position of
that line.  If I switch to navagation mode, then the arrow keys work
properly.  Am I dealing with a vim problem, a terminal problem or a keyboard
mapping/character set problem?  Whichever it is, how do I solve it?

Second...kde.  I like KDE.  When I saw the first versions, I thought it was
great.  Moved me away from pure terminals in a hurry.  Now that I'm using the
newest version, its got an annoyance that I'd like to shut off.  Whenever I
put a CD or DVD in the CD/DVD drive, I get a pop up menu on the screen asking
me what I'd like to do now.  To me, that's an annoyance and a waste of CPU
cycles that I'd like to get rid of, but I couldn't find an option in the KDE
configuration to turn that off.  How do I turn off the looking for a CD/DVD
in the drive?

Thanks,

Mark