Re: dumb question about mozilla plugin directory location....

From: "Andrew J. Barr" <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com>
To: "Michael Fothergill" <mikef20000@hotmail.com>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: dumb question about mozilla plugin directory location....
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:43:37 -0400

On 8/13/07, Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't tried that.  I am using amd64 Etch by the way.

Ah, important detail. You need to read up on nspluginwrapper, and
you'll need to do manual installation because the amd64 flashplugin
package appeared post-etch. You may be able to use backports.org, they
have instructions on their web site.

Thanks,  I have just got flash player working......

I did the following stuff recommended by some helpful guys at http://www.dipconsultants.com:

First things first, as root:

   * Add repository to sources.list:
o echo "deb http://www.dipconsultants.com/debian etch main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
   * apt-get update
* Install the keyring so you're not bothered with key/verification warnings:
         o apt-get install markybob-keyring
   * apt-get update once more
   * Install what you want:
         o apt-get install ia32-libs-gtk nspluginwrapper

If you're looking to install Flash in a 64-bit browser:

* Do *every* step listed above, then the following as a *user*, not root: * wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
   * tar -zxf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

It worked fine up to here....

* mv install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Instead of this I did mv install_flash_player_9_linux/flashplayer.xpt install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
NOT as a user as root

   * nspluginwrapper -i ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

I didn't do the above one either;

I did nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
NOT as a user as root

   * Start/restart iceweasel/firefox/whatever
   * Enjoy, Etch 64-bit users, from the guys at dipconsultants.com :)

Everything else was the same.

Now flashplayer 9 works on my 64 bit Iceweasel browser.

I want a Nobel Prize.

Thanks

Michael Fothergill

I tried flashplayer-mozilla or whatever it is. It doesn't work as far as I can see unless you are running Sid or Lenny or something because you can't install the latest nspluginwrapper in etch without dependency problems that I think would be dodgy because you would be veering out of etch into something chaotic.

Or something like that.

But this worked.

Java is still crap here on Shane Tierlings distillation web site....

Never mind.

Get Pimped! FREE emoticon packs from Windows Live - http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk