Re: Installing Sarge problem

On Monday 13 August 2007 13:44:52 Bob Middaugh wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm installing Sarge, installation completes, reboot, set timezone, root
> pwd, Apt config pick http and debian.lcs.mit.edu.
>
> After that, I get the ominious message about overwriting the kernel I'm
> currently running and how this can be potentially disasterous.
>
> I'm prompted y or n, do I want to remove the running kernel image?
>
> What can I do here to get past this.  At this point, I don't care what
> kernel version I'm running.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I question why you're installing Sarge in the first place... Etch is the
current stable version of Debian.

That being said, no it is a not a good idea to remove the running kernel.
Install a new one, boot into it, and when you're sure it's working ok, then
if you wish, remove the old one.

Personally, I always have two kernels available to boot in, just in case.  But
then again, my kernels change quickly and frequently the new one is not
better than the old one.

Joe