Re: to lvm or not to lvm?

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 09:31:45AM +0300, Yuriy Padlyak wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> What is purpose of  update-initramfs  step?

to update the initrd (initial ram disk) which is used to create a
minimal environment to get the system booted. The initrd contains a
small filesystem, appropriate modules for your hardware and some
scripts and utilities to start up the system (raid utilities, for
example). It also contains a copy of /etc/fstab and other
configuration files that tell the system how to set itself up. If you
initrd is not properly configured, your boot will fail, usually
becaus the kernel can't find the real / to continue starting the
system.