Re: Conversion of .flv to .mpg format?

On Aug 10, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Carl Fink wrote:

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 02:16:10PM -0500, Wu-Kung Sun wrote:
On 8/9/07, Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 02:50:42PM -0500, Wu-Kung Sun wrote:
Use mencoder.  A basic example:
mencoder your.flv -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video -o your.mpg

This shouldn't work. "oac copy" means to copy the video unchanged, but then you try to use the "lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video", a flag that only works if
you select "oac lavc".

-oac is output audio codec. I tested it on a youtube video and it works.

You are correct. I am an idiot. I will now go smack myself with a 2x4.

Don't be too hard on yourself. mencoder's command line syntax is almost as confusing as sox's. ;)

I wish I could remember which package had, in the BUGS section of its manpage, "This program has even more command line switches than GNU ls."