Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 18:15:12 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 8/8/07, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > Recently I've begun picking up (mostly by osmosis and from reading
> > posts) a lot more awk, find, and regex. Those three combined with
> > xargs or find -exec can get a pile of work done really quickly.
>
> Thanks for the tip. Those are very useful commands. I will certainly
> check this out and start using them.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already: There is a very nice
introduction to bash, grep, sed, awk and regular expressions available
from The Linux Documentation Project:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html

I would start with that before grinding through the manpages of bash,
grep, sed, awk, regex, and the abs-guide.

For Perl this is still a suitable introduction even though it is based
on an older version of the language:

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/Perl/start.html

For Python:

http://hetland.org/writing/instant-python.html

These links should give you a reasonably good "first impression".

          Florian   |