Re: How to add dir to path

Hi Nyizsnyik,

On 8/8/07, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@bluebottle.com> wrote:

Adding $HOME to /etc/profile should not work the way you want it to.
These settings are global, consider them as "executed by root", so in
this case $HOME will resolve as /root, not /home/manon as you may have
expected.

Thanks, I didn't think of this. I just forgot to mention it, but I also tried adding
 'export PATH=/home/manon/scripts:$PATH' to the end of /etc/profile, but
that didn't work either. But for now, the problem is solved by adding it to
~/.bashrc.

I think the other problem is related to the mode you start a terminal
session, whether or not bash is a login shell. There was further
information in this thread before.

Well, at the moment, I don't quite understand this, but I think I first have to
work my way to 'man bash'. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Greetings, Manon.