Re: How to add dir to path

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:44:07PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 11:54:52PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > > Instead of a ~/script dir I use a ~/bin dir and didn't need to change
> > > anything because ~/.bash_profile already contains:
> >
> > I have to relate my latest thing. i'm heading out for a three week
> > trip and need to work on the road :(. So that means I get a new laptop
> > :) but that means I have to get myself a good working copy of /home
> > for use on the road, along with configure unison (I know there are
> > other solutions, but its the one that works right now).
> >
> > Wow, what an experience. my /home is a freaking *mess*. i compare it
> > to joey hess' neatly arranged /home as described in his article on
> > subversion and /home. This little tip you've mentioned shows the value
> > of these things. If I was more organized, I wouldn't have stuff
> > splattered all over the place and things like modifying $PATH wouldn't
> > need to be considered. They'd just work.
>
> I like using default settings as much as possible and I very much like
> Debian because I frequently find such sane default settings for my daily
> needs.

I agree completely, but the hard part is finding out what the default
settings are. Without spending time reading every initscript, reading
every man page to find out how a process is started (though man bash
is always a great read) etc, one ends up in my position... a victim of
splatter.

But learning is a great process...