Re: Hard disk dying?

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, David Brodbeck wrote:

On Aug 6, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Sam wrote:

Hi All,
I noticed this in dmesg the other day

hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xb0

and i have started to get corrupted data off of it. I assume it is dying, but thought to ask, as its rather new ( Power On Hours 827) its a maxtor 160gb.

Time to file a warranty claim, I'm guessing. Maxtor has their own test utility, which you might as well download because they'll want an error code from it before they do an exchange.

Use smartctl:

smartctl -a /dev/hda

What does this show?