Re: Get display back?

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 09:03:42AM +1200, Jeff wrote:

> >So, on to why the nvidia driver isn't working for you.  Are you running
> >Etch with stock kernel and have the matching nvidia kernel package,
> >nvidia-xconfig, and nvidia-glx?  How did you try to set it up before?
> >

> I am using kernel 26.18.-4-K7, card is nvidia FX 5200 . I used a step by
> step guide from a website (which i cant find now) I would need to use an
> easy better guide. Any suggestions?

I'm assuming Etch then.  You don't need a website, you don't need
module-assistant.  If you downloaded the driver from nvidia and ran
their installer, then you have nvidia polution in your filesystem that
you'll have to get out somehow (never did it, don't know how, but
remember threads here bemoaning it).

Then you should have the following packages installed:

i  linux-image-2.6-k7		always depends on latest kernel for the k7
iA linux-image-2.6.18-4-K7	the latest kernel, which you have
				installed

i  nvidia-glx			Read its docs to ensure that your
				card is supported.  If not, try the
				'-legacy' series of glx and kernel
				modules.

i  nvidia-kernel-2.6-k7		always depends on latest nvidia module
iA nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-K7	latest nvidia module for the K7
iA nvidia-kernel-common

i  nvidia-xconfig

Now get X working with the free nv driver.

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.nv.works

Then update the man-db (as root, run /etc/cron.daily/man-db), apropos
nvidia and read all the man pages and all the documentation in
/usr/share/doc/nvidia*

Get the system so that it boots to command line rather than X.  This
generally means temporarily disabling the startup of your display
manager (gdm or whatever, never used one).

You should just have to run nvidia-xconfig.  This will alter your
xorg.conf file for use of the driver.  Note that it does more than
change 'nv' to 'nvidia'.

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.nvidia.test1

Test X with startx.

You may need to fitz with parameters to nvidia-xconfig.

Once its working, if you use a display manager, re-enable it.

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.nvidia.works

Good luck,

Doug.