Re: Get display back?

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 08:42:15PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
> >... that's fairly indicative that the either the video system or the
> >system as a whole is locked up.
> >
> If your CAPS lock or Numlock indicator toggles when you press on the
> corresponding key, that's indicative that the entire system is not
> locked up; you might can ssh into your box from another box and make
> your changes without having to do the boot-up hacks I mentioned in the
> previous email. That would probably be easier. If you can ssh in, you
> can just manually fix the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file without killing the
> /etc/init.d/[gxwk]dm script first. (Of course, you could bypass this
> step anyway and just edit the xorg.conf file in your "recovery" boot.)

Another way to get into the box is to boot the install CD in rescue
mode.  From the menus, you can get a shell that is chrooted into the
box.  From there, you can either edit xorg.conf or you may even be able
to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

Also, there's an option inbetween a normal boot and an init=/bin/sh,
that is 's', for single.  This will run through the /etc/rcS.d scripts
and prompt for the root password.

Doug.