Re: nfs problem while internet access broken

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:46:40PM +0200, Stephane Durieux wrote:
> --- Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> a ?crit
> >  If the server has
> > their directories !
> > >
> > I think what he means is that:
> >
> > 	client  <-> server <-> internet
> >
> > Client can ping server but if server is not
> > connected to internet,
> > client can not mount nfs shares from server.
> >
>  client <-> server <-X-> internet
>
> That is exactly my issue . Excuse me for not being
> clear ! Anyway, has somebody a solution .
> I have read that client and server must be able to
> make a reverse resolution of the client and the
> server, but I am not sure of it and I don t have an in
> depth knowledge of nfs .

With the internet off, check:

ping from client to server by name
ping from server to client by name

Send us /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf, /etc/hosts.*, /etc/nsswitch.conf

Do you have a firewall that perhaps is changing config depending on
internet status?  What firewall do you use?

Relavent error messages:

1.	take a copy of /var/log/syslog on each machine.
2.	Try to mount an NFS directory
3.	Record any visible error messages on either box
4.	Take another copy of /var/log/syslog on each machine and diff
	with the previous copy, and send the diffs, snipping off
	extraneous or sensitive data.

Good luck,

Doug.