Re: Iceweasel 2.0.0.5 and /dev/hda

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:01:57AM +0000, Steven wrote:

> Also, if I `dd if=/dev/hda of=test bs=512 count=16384 && strings -a test
> | less` I see several explicit module paths, a reference to an old kernel
> which isn't on the system anymore (that I know of), and what looks like
> an irc proxy.

[snip related to iceweasel]  I don't know.  Perhaps you should get the
iceweasel source and search for the strings of interest and see why
they're there.

> The relevant output from dd /dev/hda:

[snip]

What is the question re /dev/hda?  'deleting' a file on a filesystem
simply removes the file name out of a directory listing and marks the
inodes as free.  The data is still left on the drive untill written
over.  Actually, even after being written over its still possible to
retrieve it forensically.

What you are showing is a prime example of why its a good idea to have
an encrypted swap and /tmp on tmpfs so that nothing from memory or /tmp
can end up on the drive enclare.

Doug.