Re: IO Error during APT use

Rico Secada wrote:
> Normally I would consider an IO error as a hardware error, but I don't
> think that is the case in this situation.

Agreed.  This is a userland program error message and not a device
driver error message.

> I/O error : Input/output error
> /usr/share/omf/gnome-netstatus/gnome-netstatus-zh_CN.omf:1: parser
> error : Document is empty
> Any ideas as to why I get this kind of error?

That file is part of the gnome-netstatus-applet package.
What is the size of that file?  Is it zero sized?

  ls -ld /usr/share/omf/gnome-netstatus/gnome-netstatus-zh_CN.omf

If not zero sized then does the file look normal?

  less /usr/share/omf/gnome-netstatus/gnome-netstatus-zh_CN.omf

The stable version is an xml file with xml tags.  I suspect that your
disk filled up or something crashed during the installation or
something and the file was left as a zero sized file.  Or that the
file contents are somehow corrupted.  If the file does not look like
xml then that is likely the problem.  You might want to reinstall the
package.

  sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-netstatus-applet

Bob