Re: Compile Question

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:40:13 +0000 (UTC)
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

Hello Hendrik,

> My son uses the gentoo distribution, and he loves it.  Since all

I occasionally look at Gentoo, with a slightly green eye.  I've never
quite mustered the courage to dive in, though.

> He gets an extremely up-to-date system (I gather it's usually more
> up-to-date than sid).  It is a reportable bug if the gentoo package is

And that too, could be a problem for me;  Occasionally, Debian Sid gets
"broken" and I wouldn't always know enough to be able to sort it out.
Especially if the problem meant I couldn't get on the 'net, because
with only the one machine available to me, I'd be completely unable to
seek assistance.

> It took all night and several extra gigabytes of temporary storage to
> install OpenOffice, though.

That's annoy my missus no end.  She thinks my machine is on too long,
as it is.

> By the way, I use etch and try hard not to install anything that
> doesn't arrive as a Debian package.

I use Testing, and mostly use .deb packages, as I said.  TBH, the ones
I do compile, I could probably get away with not doing so.  It's just
that these few I like to be fairly up to date on.

> up-to-date-ness, and having troubles. Xorg didn't autoconfigure
> properly.

Which would be a killer for me.

--
 Regards  _

When I say ugly, I don't mean rough looking, I mean hideous
Ugly - The Stranglers