Re: My experience with Lenny.

Pedro Izecksohn wrote:

>   I've being using Lenny Official Snapshot i386 NETINST Binary-1
>   20070725-21:16 from that date on.
>
>   I just compiled and installed my personal Linux kernel 2.6.22.1
>   optimized for Pentium D. It seems to me that most programs work faster
>   with the default kernel 2.6.21-2-686, as it does not recognize SMP and a
>   single CPU get all bus cycles.
>
>   The major problem I had was to configure /etc/X11/xorg.conf for this
>   monitor Samsung SyncMaster 740n, as I had to configure it manually.
>
>   Another problem is openoffice.org-impress_2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch1_i386.deb
>   that crashes sometimes, I do not know exactly why.
>
>   Gnash is good for Flash 7 presentations, as it misses some Flash 8
>   features. But Macromedia's player 9 works perfectly.
>
>   I would like to install iTunes to buy a single music clip, but some work
>   needs to be done for wine.
>
>   All other installed programs seem to work fine.
>
>   My biggest surprise was GnomeBaker, as it saved me from the need to
>   install K3B.
>
>   locale: My current LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8 Wouldn't the correct be pt_BR.utf-8
>   ?
>
>   I'm in general satisfied with this distro. It is very near to stable.

Bom dia Pedro,
I'm also using Lenny with a 2.6.22 kernel, but a ready-made one, not one
that I rolled myself. One point on Impress. Version 2.0.4 is a bit out of
date. You might have more joy downloading from the Openoffice site where
the current version is 2.2.1. There is no an autoupdate feature on
Openoffice so you don't have to do this more than once. The testing
versions of OO tend to be a little behind and there's no problem running
the very latest version on Lenny (or any previous testing version I've ever
used). You get a tarball with a bunch of RPMs that you can convert to debs
with alien. Then the installation is trivial. Note that the default
location is /opt, which is where I like OO to be.
Até logo,
Jonathan