Re: Debian can't mount Camera Memory Stick

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 03:37:58PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> My GF has a situation in which she cannot mount a camera memory
> stick. Here's the setup...
>
> CPU<--->HUB<--->Dazzle[<--Stick
>
> The HUB is from Radio Shack. The Dazzle is a device used to
> interface the memory stick with USB. The memory stick is
> a Sandisk 128 MB memory stick for a camera. Using her laptop
> and XP, with the same Dazzle and memory stick, it mounts
> just fine. With her desktop and Debian, it fails to mount.
>
> Also connected to the hub are a WD USB hard disc, and an HP printer,
> both of which work fine with Debian.
>
> Currently, she mounts using XP on the laptop, then e-mails the photos
> to herself over a dial-up, and then reads the mail back into Debian
> using an ADSL connection. Needless to say, this is not the desirable
> solution.
>
> When we try to mount that memory card, mount responds that it is
> unable to ascertain the file system type. It appears that fdisk
> is unable to read anything from it at all. OTOH, lsusb shows the
> Dazzle device. I have outputs from lsusb, fdisk, and dmesg, but they
> are somewhat lengthy.
>
> Any who are willing to help understand what to do to get this
> card to mount, I'll ship them by e-mail, or if consensus agrees
> to it, I'll post them here. They are a few kilobytes altogether.

send them to me directly if you want, but first:

what is the output of

tail -f /var/log/syslog

when started before plugging the device in until after its plugged and
settled.

If this a regular flash memory stick/card? For example, my camera uses
bog-standard compact flash cards (about 1.25 inches square by 1/8 in
thick) and they plug into a standard card reader and mount as
/dev/sda1 as a vfat device. Is that what we're trying to do? or is it
some proprietary format device that doesn't plug into a standard
cardreader?