Re: how to set network io priority for a process?

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:42:29PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:11:43 -0400
> Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 03:32:44PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > > I have issues similar to Doug's, and I have also wondered whether
> > > kernel based traffic shaping is what I need.  Since we both use
> > > shorewall, which has an interface to the kernel's shaping capabilities,
> > > I suppose we ought to read shorewall-doc/html/traffic_shaping.htm
> > >

> > As expected, shorewall can't help in this regard.
>
> Why not?

At best, it can duplicate wondershaper.  However, its designed for
high-speed internet access.  Its hysteresis is larger than my dialup
bandwidth.

The big issue is that none of the available shaping methods work by
throttling outgoing requests for a chunck of incoming data.  They are
intended to limit the rate of outbound data.

What we need is a multi-protocol proxy server that does proper
throttling of download requests.

Doug.