Re: Several GTK-apps not working anymore after update

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 22:43:29 +0200, danteonline AT gmail DOT com wrote:

[...]

> Problem: I updated my debian lenny/sid system today (at about 14:00 CET,
> 26.07.07).
> After that update, I noticed that i couldn't launch iceweasel anymore, it gave
> me the error:
>
> <error>
>
> Pango-ERROR **: file pangofc-fontmap.c: line 438 (pango_fc_font_map_add):
> assertion failed: (fcfont->fontmap == NULL)
> aborting...
>
> </error>

What happens if you try to run

iceweasel --safe-mode

or

MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 iceweasel --safe-mode

or

LANG=C iceweasel --safe-mode

?

> The big problem is, that message also appears in applications like zenity.
> Other apps, like gimp, pidgin and quodlibet fail to launch after the update
> too, but they don't seem to give me any distinct error output
> but "segmentation fault".
>
> I assumed the bug was in either libpango1.0-0 or libpango1.0-common, due to
> the fact that I only have those packages installed that contain pango in the
> name.

/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin links against pango libraries which are
part of libpango1.0-0. If you decide to file a bug then it probably
should be filed against that package.

> Reinstalling libpango1.0-common gives me the following warning:
>
> <error>
>
> Cleaning up font configuration of pango...
> Updating font configuration of pango...
> Cleaning up category xfont..
> Updating category xfont..
> *** You don't have any defomized font packages.
> *** So we are trying to force to generate pangox.aliases...
>
> </error>
>
> Note: I do have defoma installed, I even reinstalled.

What output do you get if you run (as root)

/usr/bin/defoma-app -v update pango

> Any suggestions?

Try to downgrade libpango1.0-0 and libpango1.0-common.

> How can I test if the packages I installed are the official
> ones and not some 3rd party ones? I chose mirror.switch.ch for the packages.

If you did not deliberately override apt's package verification
mechanism then you should be safe.

          Florian   |