Re: problems installing with 'writemaster' CDROM

michael wrote:
Folks, I've a new machine

Its likely that the machine has more bearing on this problem than the CDROM itself. We need more information regarding the Motherboard and in particular the IDE or SATA chip the drive is connected to.

with a "writemaster" CDROM drive. When trying
to install Debian 4.0 from iso image burnt to CD, it initially
recognises the CD and starts the installation but fails at the screen
where the CD drive is to be recognised (for continuing the
installation). I've tried various module/device combos but all to no
avail. I've looked about on Google but not come up with a working
solution.

Has anybody else successfully uses this CDROM drive to install Debian,
or have suggestions on how I can determine a working module/device
combo. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Have you tried to boot a live CD like Knoppix or Ubuntu? If this boots OK the output of

lspci -vv
lsmod

would help identify the correct modules to load.

Thanks, Michael

HTH

Wackojacko