Re: Need newer software that included with stable (that isn't at backports.org)

Tim Hull wrote:

> I guess what I am wondering is if I can build debs from the sid source on
> etch and in a sense do my own backports.  I may want to do this for a few
> other packages as well, such as acpi-support (the newest version is needed
> for suspend also)...

Please do not top post.

It is very much possible to build your own backported packages. It is very
simple actually. For example, To build backport of texmacs 1.0.6.10 from
unstable for stable distribution, I used the following commands

  cd ~/practice
  apt-get source -t unstable texmacs
  cd texmacs-1.0.6.10/
  dch --distribution etch-backports -v 1:1.0.6.10-1~bpo.1 -b

  The new changelog entry will look something like

  texmacs (1:1.0.6.10-1~bpo.1) etch-backports; urgency=low

  * Rebuild for Etch

  -- Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@gmail.com> Tue, 10 Jul 2007
14:09:08 -0400

  $dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Change the commands appropriately depending on your need.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/