Re: why do iceweasel et al have more frequent security issues?

On 7/26/07, Mathias Brodala <info@noctus.net> wrote:
Hi Douglas.

Douglas Allan Tutty, 26.07.2007 18:23:
> It seems that the mozilla-derived browsers have security issues
> requiring updates far more frequently than other browsers like Konqueror
> or links2.

Aside from the fact that one software really can be more secure than another one
is this the result of an increased usage. The more people use Gecko browsers,
the more bugs can be found willingly or unwillingly. And the more people use
Gecko browsers, the more lucrative is it to find security holes and damage
systems this way.

Isn't this the same argument Windows weenies use against Linux when
their platform of choice is rightfully chastised for being a complete
and total security nightmare? And most of the time, it's laughed
off...if I'm not mistaken, because of fundamental design differences
between Linux and Windows--e.g. in Windows the vast majority of
software will not run correctly without administrator privileges (yes,
even in Vista) so you have a situation equivalent to running your
desktop environment session as root, which, if more people did,
perhaps we'd have a similar security situation on the Linux desktop?

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules

--