Re: How to generate script with Apache and run it by root avoiding to "kill" security

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:18:43AM -0400, Guillermo Garron wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am creating a PHP small program that will interact with MySQL and
> will have the policies for the people in my office, i.e.:
> Who can or can not access MSN messenger
> Who can or can not access WWW
>
> etc. once this is stored, a shell script with the iptables rules
> should be created, and then run.
>
> I do not want to run it with Apache, so I was thinking on creating a
> CRON job that will run it as root once every n minutes, but the issue
> i see here, is that if somebody "break" my Apache security he will be
> able to create any script he likes and my CRON will run it, killing my
> server security.
>
> any better ideas about how can I achieve my goal?

I don't see how you could possibly create a publicly available
interface to change something as fundamental as your firewall and have
it _not_ be a security risk.

maybe you could create a user that only has permissions to run one
script and that one script is only allowed to change your firewall
rules in specific ways, but even so I think you're asking for trouble.

and take that all with appropriate salt as I am no security expert, it
just seems kind of obvious to me...