Re: adduser kills sound pt. 3

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 09:46:15PM -0400, Rick Spillane wrote:
> OK. So I investigated what statoverride is, and its a list of names
> that can be used to install packages under. I checked
> /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride, and it seems as though there is indeed a
> name 'root' in there, thus doubling my confusion. My guess is that the
> there was once a root group in /etc/group, however it is no longer
> there (I checked). Could someone post an /etc/group so I can try to
> piece back together my /etc/group? I think this is the core of my
> problems.

I think it might be better, next time, if you post your part 2's and
part 3' as replies to the original thread...

okay. Its a little confusing, but it sounds like you are using some
gui interface to add users but its crashing, right? I would think that
could definitely corrupt your /etc/group as there is usually a group
created for each user... I recommend you _not_ use a gui to add users
and instead use adduser from the cli. Also you should probably scan
the bugs of the gui you've been using and see if you problem has been
reported or not and whether the corrupting of /etc/group is included
in such a reprot, if it exists. If there is no report, then probably
you should make one.

There could be other problems... if the group file is corrupted, some
of the other user related files may be corrupted as well... such as
your /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow... I recommend you don't reboot until
you've verified that those files are okay...

finally, here is my /etc/group if it helps...

I'm not sure whether you should just recreate it in an editor or
actually use one of the tools like addgroup to recreate it. and I
surely have things you don't have and vice versa

cat /etc/group

root:x:0:
daemon:x:1:
bin:x:2: