Re: what is this in tcpdump?

On Thursday 26 July 2007 00:47, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I get a lot of these in my tcpdump on my machine:
>
> 15:45:47.427003 IP basement.ipp > 192.168.1.31.ipp: UDP, length 129
> 15:45:48.427004 IP basement.ipp > 192.168.1.31.ipp: UDP, length 167
>
> 192.168.1.31 is my broadcast address, and basement is me. They usually
>           come in pairs like this, though sometimes split up by other
>           traffic. Always, though, its one of length 129 and one of
>           167

Hi Andrew. It looks like these are just broadcasts from your print server. The
difference in packet size seems to indicate that you have 2 printers. I have
2 broadcasts every 30 secs. One is 189bytes, and the other 190bytes. I only
have one printer. Printer1 on the Wireshark output attached should not be
there, and will have to look into that, and get rid of the duplicated entry.

I have a bunch of distros that run on the machine that has the printer
physically attached to it, and even more distros on the other machine that is
using network printing. I've  obviously misconfigured something somewhere,
which is very easy to do.

See attachment below.

Nigel.