Re: ML-320 compatible dot-matrix printer

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 10:33:03PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

>I have an Origional IBM Personal Computer Graphics Printer.  I know from
>postscript was with the gs-esp ML-320 driver.
>
>However, I've always used lprng since its seems like overkill to bring
>in all of cups.  On my last box, where I got it to work, I ended up with
>foomatic-printfilters (which brings in a lot of the cups stuff) and used
>the foomatic GUI to set it up with lprng.
>
>Does anyone using lprng know of an easier/simpler way to get things
>working?
>
>My hesitation on cups is twofold:  the large amount of downloading over
>slow dialup; and I'm unclear on the politics of the openprinting.org
>movement.  The latter seems to be driven by one company.

Thanks all for your suggestions.  I found that in Etch, the standard
gs-gpl okiibm driver works great with apsfilter.  Tell apsfilter quality
high, mono and I get 120x144 very nicely.  I don't know why this didn't
work under Sarge.  The printer uses a paralell interface and is located
beside my PII computer that I use as an ssh client box.  The PII only
has an 850 MB drive so to save disk space, I'm using plain old lpd
instead of lprng.

Doug.