Re: OpenGL programming for GNU/Linux

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 12:55:18PM -0400, "Lic. Orestes leal" <orestesleal13022@cha.jovenclub.cu> was heard to say:
> > The only platform-specific parts are 1) getting a GL surface on the screen,
> > and 2) installing the libraries/headers. For (1) you just use GLUT or Qt
> > (or another cross-platform windowing API with OpenGL support), and for (2)
> > you just apt-get install freeglut3-dev glut-doc (you're on Debian,
> > otherwise you wouldn't be posting to this list, right?).

  I'd also suggest that you check out SDL.  It doesn't let you work in the
context of a standard GUI toolkit like Qt does, but my experience has been
that it's a lot nicer than GLUT for input event handling, and it also has
support for other stuff games need (joysticks, sound, etc).  Depending on
just what you're trying to do, it may be a better environment for you
than either GLUT or Qt.

  Daniel