adduser kills sound

Twice I have used adduser to add a new user to my laptop, and each
time afterward, I find that I am unable to use my sound device. When I
use programs that output sound as root however, I am able to hear
sound. Figuring that this is a permissions related issue, I checked my
/etc/group file, and found that I am in no sound group, and that no
sound group exists. I did 'groups' and found only my username 'rick'
and no other groups, and I know I added myself to src. I am confused
as to why this happens. Am I not supposed to use adduser to add new
users? If I am not supposed to use adduser, then what am I supposed to
use? The other program I have used each time is the GUI user
management tool, which invariable crashes, and so I've stopped using
it. Perhaps the GUI tool is killing my /etc/group, however I believe
that both tools should back up any sensitive configuration files
before they modify them. Any ideas? I would like to restore my
permissions to how they were, and didn't expect that adding a user
would bork me like this.

--

Rick
necro351@gmail.com