adduser kills sound pt. 2

I tried to fix the problem on my own by completely removing
linux-sound-base and the alsa packages, then reinstalling them,
however when I tried to reinstall them (after successfully removing
them) I got this error:

Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `root' in statoverride file
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

I think that adduser messed up my groups file, and now a lot of stuff,
including dpkg and my sound isn't working. Any ideas? I wish I could
just restore my /etc directory to how it was before...

--

Rick
necro351@gmail.com