Re: RAID vs Multiple Drives

On Jul 25, 2007, at 12:42 PM, Adrian Hall wrote:
I think with three disks, the best option for using RAID is what's known as RAID 5 - this will make your three physical disks look like a single 'logical' disk.

For some values of "best", anyway, and for three disks it's about the only option.  I would express the following caveats about RAID 5, though:

RAID 5 will help you if you lose one disk, but only one.  If you lose a second disk the data is gone.  It behooves you to have some kind of monitoring in place so you're warned of a disk failure.  This becomes more important the more disks you add, because the odds of one of them failing start to increase.  This can be mitigated by adding a hot spare drive, or by using RAID 10, but these obviously increase the cost because you need more drives.

RAID 5 offers good read performance but writes are slower, especially when writing lots of small files.  For example, one external hardware RAID array I've seen benchmarked could write a single 1.6 GB file at 38 MB/sec, but dropped off to 0.06 MB/sec when confronted with lots of tiny (<20K) files.