USB scanner crashes VMware XP client

I'm running a VMware Server 1.0.2 XP client on an Etch host.  I'd like to use
an Epson Perfection 2400 scanner from the XP client, but it crashes XP.

The scanner software installed without error.  The sequence in VMware from
there is as follows:

  VM -> Settings -> shows USB controller present
  Power up virtual XP machine
  VM -> Removable Devices -> USB Devices -> click on Epson Scanner ->
    Found New Hardware message appears in XP client
  The scanner also shows up under the XP Control Panel
  I call the Epson "Scan and Save" software.  The scanner works for a second
    and then XP crashes.  The errors include:

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFEFFFE03,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF9C67042)
    usbuhci.sys - Address F9C670A2 base at F9C64000, DateStamp 41107d62

This same PC also has a separate bootable XP partition.  With that running,
and all the same physical connections, there is no problem.  Furthermore, a
USB inkjet printer works fine from the virtual XP machine.

The scanner's specifications say that it can run as either USB 1.1 or USB 2.
The USB is on the motherboard (Intel D946GZIS) and has both EHCI (high speed
= 480 Mb/s) and UHCI (full speed = 12 Mb/s).  There are physical ports on
both the front and back panels.  I've failed with both.

This really seems like a question for VMware,  However, I posted this at the
VMware Server forum and got no suggestions.  Any ideas here on how to
proceed?  Thanks.