Re: Installing OOo 2.2.1 from backports on Stable

On 07/24/2007 01:50 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 12:25:21 -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
>> On 07/24/2007 08:40 AM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>>>
>>> aptitude likes to make you panic...
>>
>> LOL! And it works too. I have seen output several times that has
>> made me think hard before continuing. But it's silly the way it
>> handles this scenario. It says the packages *are* broken, which
>> is not true.
>
> It is true, if you realize that aptitude always considers (and
> talks about) the situation that would occur after all currently
> scheduled actions are carried out. Aptitude has to play "what
> if ..." in order to detect bad consequences and propose
> solutions. You could argue that "are broken" should be replaced
> with "will be broken" to make the message more understandable,
> though.

I am much less knowledgeable of Debian than most of you, so I
hate to disagree, but when *all* currently scheduled actions are
carried out, nothing will be broken. That is assuming the
upgrade/install succeeds. The packages are only broken during the
upgrade/install process. Right?

I think this is a very minor issue of how things are presented to
the user. And as Mr. Sackville-West said, "Aptitude likes to make
you panic", so I am not planning on submitting a change request
for this.

> On the other hand, you have just demonstrated that the present
> wording is very efficient in making the user think twice about
> what he/she is doing... ;)

I don't disagree with that one bit.

Thanks for your response and clarifications.

--
Glen