Re: cannot logoff/shutdown properly

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 09:46:04 -0400, Manu Hack wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running lenny.  recently after upgrade to 2.6.21, I found that I
> couldn't logoff/shutdown properly from KDE/GNOME/windowmaker.  By
> properly I mean whenever I choose logoff, usually KDM/GDM can take
> over and give me a login prompt but now it just goes blank and nothing
> can be done (including alt control back or F1) but pressing the power
> button to turn it off.
>
> What could go wrong?  Thank a lot.
>
> Let me know what further information you need to investigate the issue.

This could be a problem with the video driver which crashes the
computer. You could try to switch to the generic "vesa" driver.

You should also try to get a look at the Xorg log file after the crash.
The problem is that this file cleaned out when Xorg starts again, so you
have to keep Xorg from starting again when you switch the computer off
and on again after a crash. You could boot into single user mode, for
example. Then you can have a look at the end of the file

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

especially at lines that start with "(EE)" or "(WW)".

          Florian   |