Re: ppm type 6 to ppm type 3: debian logo's

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 15:59:12 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

When you install the debian logo package you get added boot logo's

You can edit these with ImageMagick.

But when you edit one of these with ImageMagick it generates a type 6 file (first line: P6) which the kernel compile does not recognize, it wants a P3 file.

I could swear I once fixed this with *rawtoppm* but I cannot find that now.

Anybody edited Debian Logo files?

I never did that, but I know that you can convert a "P6" .ppm (24 bpp,
binary) to a "P3" .ppm (24 bpp, ASCII) with imagemagick's "convert"
command:

convert -compress none old.ppm new.ppm

I assume that the "-compress none" option can also be used with other
imagemagick commands that produce PPM files.

This is the error message if you compile with a type P6 file:

DEBIAN  drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_debian.c
drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_debian.ppm: Binary PNM is not supported
Use pnmnoraw(1) to convert it to ASCII PNM
make[5]: *** [drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_debian.c] Error 1

And *pnmnoraw* is what I was looking for.
Thanks again Florian!

Hugo