Re: CPU Speed

Well, CPUInfo has the answer: cache size of 256K for the P-II, and only 64
for K6. Also, the P-II had high-speed on-die cache, whereas the K6 had its
cache memory separated on the motherboard (might be different for notebook
versions though). That, and possibly kernel/code optimisation for the P-II.
P-II was way more "muscular" than K6 CPUs (a friend's PII/350 outperformed
a K6-II/400 by far in software rendering in Quake II, the PII could do
640*480, whereas the K6-II was limited to 400*300).

On 21.07.2007 at 22:07 Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:

>Telly Williams wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 	I have an HP Pavilion 6360 with Linux Debian.  I also have a Thinkpad
>that a friend gave me recently which runs Linux Debian, as well.
>>
>> 	Here's the thing.
>>
>> 	The TP, under cpuinfo, has:
>>
>> 		model name: Mobile Pentium II
>> 		cpu MHz: 365.033
>> 		stepping: 10
>> 		cache size: 256 KB
>>
>> 		ram: 64 MB
>>
>> 	The HP, under cpuinfo, has:
>>
>> 		model name: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
>> 		cpu MHz: 367.497
>> 		stepping: 0
>> 		cache size: 64 KB
>>
>> 		ram: 256 MB
>>
>> 	The HP runs MUCH slower than the TP.  Why is that?  Is that supposed to
>happen?  Is it because of the step and the cache size?  Is it the ram
>> difference?  Although I'm beginning to understand that more RAM doesn't
>mean faster computer, I would think that since both speeds are close
>> (irregardless of cache size) that they would be about the same speed.
>How do I check what the CURRENT speed of the processor is?  Maybe it's
>running at a lower
>> speed than what's indicated?  Should I overclock the HP?  Thanks.
>>
>> TW
>>

>Which are the specs of the HP one firts of all?
>
>You can install cpufrequtils and check with `cpufreq-utils' which is the
>speed and if is running under a different governor that performance
>(which I doubt since is a very old machine).
>
>Linux doesn't modify the clock speed at least that this option is
>enabled by ACPI and I don't know how is that in older pcs...
>
>Regards,
>Jose Luis.
>--
>
>ghostbar on Linux/Debian 'sid' x86_64-SMP - #382503
>Weblog: http://ghostbar.ath.cx/ - http://linuxtachira.org
>http://debian.org.ve - irc.debian.org #debian-ve #debian-devel-es
>San Cristóbal, Venezuela. http://chaslug.org.ve
>Fingerprint = 3E7D 4267 AFD5 2407 2A37  20AC 38A0 AD5B CACA B118
>

>--
listmaster@lists.debian.org

     Not far from here, by a white sun, behind a green star, lived the
Steelypips, illustrious, industrious, and they hadn't a care: no spats
in their vats, no rules, no schools, no gloom, no evil influence of the
moon, no trouble from matter or antimatter -- for they had a
machine, a dream of a machine, with springs and gears and perfect
in every respect. And they lived with it, and on it, and under it, and
inside it, for it was all they had -- first they saved up all their atoms,
then they put them all together, and if one didn't fit, why they
chipped at it a bit, and everything was just fine...

-- Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"