Re: Stability issues

Andrei Popescu wrote:
It has already been said, you might want to try the K7 kernel.
I first went that route:

Plus, it's well established that the AMD processors are fully compatible with 686 (they never would have sold a chip otherwise). This has been discussed many times before:

Also, I've run the past year-and-a-half with the i686 load with no problems.

Why would you recompile applications?

I've also upgraded the nVidia driver along with the kernel. So, just in case it was necessary, I recompiled MythTV. That's when I saw the gcc error. So, I'm running the backend but not the frontend. The only other activity is one LTSP client.

You can see what your system thinks of your architecture by running 'dpkg --print-architecture' (should be i386).

Yup, i386.

So I have no idea what it could be. It could be a coincidence that a piece of hardware happened to start failing at the time of the upgrade...but I wanted to rule anything else out first. I did perform a disk check with "shutdown -F" and a memory test with "memtest." I don't know if there is anything I can look at next (logs?). I even tried "iceweasel -g" to capture a backtrace of an application failure...but didn't see anything of significance (to me).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike