Re: Eclipse minor annoyance

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 11:45:06PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 08:23:46AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > I use eclipse downloaded from the net,just expand it into
> > /usr/local/lib/eclipse and it works fine. I found that the eclipse through
> > debian was a bit too tied to gcj - couldn't get debuging working properly
> >
> Huh?  I have "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun" in my
> ~/.bash_profile and it uses the Sun JRE just fine.
This was some time ago, where I was new to java and eclipse.  I tried just
installing eclipse package and then tried to step through some Java code.  At
this point I found out the application was running under gcj and from what i
read I could not step debug through that (it might have change by now).

My current practise is to download eclipse and run it from within its own
directory and usually rung JDK 5 or 6.  I do development on both linux and
windows environment so I find this to be the easiest way of getting up and
running just about anywhere (as long as I have access to my cvs).

The other problem I have come across with gcj (previously), is access to all
the JDK6 class libraries. ALthough I presume I could use gcj against the JDK 6
provided libraries and not use classpath.

I am not out to bash gcj - I would use it if it worked out of the box for me,
but it hasn't so far. I have 4.1 installed and last time I read 4.2 seemed to
be closer to my needs