Re: 'out of space' vs 'out of inodes'?

On Friday 20 July 2007 23:43, Kevin Mark wrote:
> thanks for the pointer. So it seems like something that goes back aways
> in Unix land, at least if it is in a 'generic' code. So I'd expect to
> have the same thing in bsd, linux (and maybe win32?). Hmm. I cant think
> of why a full inode table would be treated the same as a full partition.
> Will have to look in some unix lore maybe...

A small sensible set of kernel error codes makes it possible for
applications to respond sensibly to errors.  If every application
had to worry about different errors for running out of blocks,
inodes, indirect blocks, directory hash table entries, etc, etc,
then there would be a lot more application bugs.

--Mike Bird