Re: [OT] Samsung-provided linux drivers could be dangerous

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:42, Anson Gardner wrote:
> http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Samsung_Linux_printer_driver_modifies_the_pe
>rmissions_of_many_executables
>
> I was going to recommend a Samsung Laser printer (like my ML-2250) on
> the "Economic Printer" thread, but now maybe not.
>
> Well, in fact I still recommend it, just not their driver CD. I wonder if
> my CD (which is quite a bit older than the one mentioned in the article)
> has that problem. I do remember being impressed that the driver CD
> supported Debian.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anson

I also have this printer along with an epson for printing photos. The Samsung
CD simply does not work. You need to download the driver system from their
website and install it as indicated. It will be set up outside the debian
system. However cups will find the printer & all works well. For the money it
is great & really fast after the initial warmup. This printer will set up its
own web faced printer management system & thats not a bad thing.

--
John W. Foster