Security newbie?

I've been running debian @ home and @ work, for years, had no indication of attacks. Over the last few days, my iptables firewall seemed simply to stop. I checked my auth log file to find many, many attempts to break in. My firewall was very simple. I have since added rules to drop packets from offending IP addresses. So, I have a couple of very basic questions:

1. Are there repositories of offending IP addresses to block? Can/should one contribute to these?

2. The attacks never use the same user name more than once. Is there a way to block access, even temporarily, from an IP address after a set number of attempts, even if the attempts use different user names?

3. Are there other obvious things I should be doing?

Art Edwards

--
Arthur H. Edwards
Senior Research Physicist