Re: Sending Email from script

> I've installed sendmail, but I'm not having much luck
> getting it to work.  When I attempt to send messages from
> the command line by doing "sendmail myemail@mydomain.com"
> it appears to go, but I never get the email.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

Debian comes with exim4 by default. You will probably have
had this removed by installing sendmail. Unless you are
already a sendmail guru, I'd recommend reinstalling exim4.

You can reconfigure it using "dpkg-reconfigure
exim4-config". Most of the questions are straightforward.
There is additional information available at
<http://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ>.

Exim4 and most MTAs come with a "sendmail" binary that
supports the same options as the traditional sendmail does:
however, for command line mailing, "mail" or "mail x" are
best.

Try:

    date | mail -s "testing" your.address

And read /var/log/exim4/mainlog to see what happened.

--
Jon Dowland