Re: Problem with amixer or ...

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 10:16:01 +0100, annals wrote:
> I hope someone can point me in the right direction on this, as I
> can't be 100% sure I've not just overlooked something (I'm by no
> means an expert etc.).  I get errors with alsamixer/amixer that
> prevent sound from working on this machine:
> Linux boxname 2.6.18-4-amd64 #1 SMP [...] x86_64 GNU/Linux
> (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-12etch2)
>
>   When I run alsaconf, before 'Have a lot of fun!', I get: [...]
> Setting default volumes...
> amixer: Mixer default load error: Invalid argument
> Saving the mixer setup used for this in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
> /usr/sbin/alsactl: get_control:209: Cannot read control info '2,0,0,Capture Volume,0': Invalid argument
>
>   Accordingly, asound.state is not created (/var/lib/alsa/ is empty).
>
>   Output of 'amixer controls |grep Capture' is:
> amixer: Control default snd_hctl_elem_info error: Invalid argument
>
> numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Switch'

[...]

>   The only apparently relevant line from the usual logs is:
> hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0x17

[ snip: snd_hda_intel and the other modules seem to be loaded normally,
  /proc/asound/cards and /proc/asound/devices look OK, too. ]

> Here's the strace of 'amixer' :

[...]

> ioctl(3, USBDEVFS_CONNECTINFO, 0x7fffa9139770) = 0
> ioctl(3, USBDEVFS_IOCTL, 0x7fffa9138fd0) = 0
> ioctl(3, USBDEVFS_CONNECTINFO, 0x7fffa9139770) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
> write(2, "amixer: ", 8amixer: )                 = 8
> write(2, "Mixer default load error: Invali"..., 42Mixer default load error: Invalid argument
> ) = 42
> write(2, "\n", 1
> )                       = 1
> close(3)                                = 0
> exit_group(1)                           = ?
> Process 7290 detached

Which sound card is this exactly? Please post the relevant part of your
"lspci" output; maybe somebody knows something about specific issues
with your card.

Maybe you simply need to upgrade to a newer kernel. You can check the
changelogs if there were any recent changes that might be important for
your card:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.22.y.git;a=tree;f=sound/pci/hda

(See the "history" links.)

www.backports.org has 2.6.21 kernel images for Etch.

It is also known that snd_hda_intel sometimes has to be loaded with
certain additional parameters set by the user; see here for a random
example:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Clevo_M38AW#Audio_with_ALSA

You might have to google around for your card, or post your problem on
the alsa forums.

          Florian   |