Re: URGENT: my gnome desktop is dead

Dot Deb:

> This morning I switched my laptop on, as usual, but after logging
> in (using gdm), gnome only shows me the tomboy window. No
> panels, no background, no icons ...

I guess your session information is broken. You could try to move all
your ~/.gnome2* files and directories out of the way to get a new
default session (and have fun reconfiguring everything). You could also
just add another user and try that one.

> Yesterday I regularly switched off the laptop. I did not upgrade
> the system recently (I'm running sid).
>
> I have no idea on where to start debugging the problem.

~/.xsession-errors, /var/log/syslog, var/log/Xorg.0.log are generally
good places to start. But I guess the advice above should work.

> I need your help because today I really need to work and I do
> not want to loose my job for that F... gnome.

I know I am adding insult to injury here, but people who run software
declared as *unstable* should be able to cope with problems like this
one. If they are not, they should refrain from blaming their problems to
the software they use.

J.
--
I am worried that my dreams pale in comparison beside TV docu-soaps.
[Agree]   [Disagree]