Re: Help - Gnome won't rune

On 07/14/07 08:02, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote the following on 07/14/2007 07:51 AM:
On 07/14/07 07:33, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote the following on 07/14/2007 05:49 AM:

Dump gdm (or whichever is the display manager of your choice).

From that command line, su and remove [xgk]dm and reboot. Then you'll get a console and log in using that, and type "startx" to get to GNOME.

Thanks! That got me back on.

I figured you meant to rm /usr/sbin/gdm but I just mv'd it to a different name. Just in case!

So, what do I have to do to get gdm(?) to behave like it used to?

The ability to run more than one Gnome session is really handy.

Whatever for?

Because I can!

I mean what I happens when I do ctl-alt-F8, -F9, etc.

Seriously though, it is nice to be able to separate things by workspace
within a session, but I like to have a different sessions for root and similar functions that I don't want to get tangled up in my run-of-the-mill user stuff.

You should *never* need to have a full-fledged "root" GUI!

90% of root stuff can be done from an xterm with "su -". The another 9.9% is privileged GUI work that will prompt you for the root password. The last 0.1% (privleged GUI apps that don't prompt you for a password) can be run from your account from an xterm using "su -p".

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA