Re: SATA support

On 7/12/07, Dustin <sworoc@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm building my first PC, it will run Debian of course.

I'm buying the parts off of newegg.com and noticed that many of the
newer DVD burners have a SATA interface.  I'm looking at getting both
the HDDs and the DVD burner with a SATA interface, but wasn't sure if it
could make the process more complicated from a Debian standpoint, and
wanted to see how safe of a bet it would be to use one.

I understand that the interface is faster and cleaner from a physical
standpoint, but more complicated and less tried and true from a software
standpoint.

I would prefer to have the option to playback DVD movies on this
machine, in the past I've had trouble getting smooth playback on a PC
versus a dedicated stand alone DVD player.  This may only be an issue
with older machines, but I might be wrong in that assumption.

Any advice on this issue, or any issue in building a newer Debian PC
would be excellent.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dustin

I actually have nothing useful to add to the main discussion, but I
would like to thank you for bringing to my attention the widespread
availability of SATA burners. The last time I looked, there was only
one or two SATA models available anywhere. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Kelly