I compile an identical ssh, but it behaves differently

(Sorry if this is received multiple times, I'm confused with newsgroup
gatewaying.)

I have etch, it has openssh-server and openssh-client installed, and
they work fine.  I do this:

    apt-get source openssh-server
    cd openssh-*
    I correct debian/changelog so that version is 4.3p2-custom1
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
    dpkg -i ../openssh-server_4.3p2-custom1_i386.deb \
            ../openssh-client_4.3p2-custom1_i386.deb

Result: when I ssh into the server from another machine, I get the
message "Bad line 1 in /etc/default/login" (/etc/default/login contains
one line only, umask 022).  With the Debian packages it wasn't giving me
any such message.

Why my compiled ssh does not have exactly the same behaviour as
Debian's?