Re: Re: revert to Etch from Lenny/Sid

kedmond wrote:
> I found another site, http://www.funzt.info/?p=76#more-76,
> I found instructions on how to install pidgin properly,
> without doing the terrible thing I did.

The pidgin package in unstable can be built using the
libraries and headers in stable, at least at the moment.
The following would build and install the pidgin package,
without upgrading your whole system:

    a) add an unstable *source* line to your
       /etc/apt/sources.list, e.g.
       deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main
    b) apt-get update
    c) apt-get build-dep pidgin
    d) apt-get install fakeroot build-essential
    e) fakeroot apt-get source -b pidgin
    f) sudo dpkg -i pidgin*deb

Step e) will take a comparatively long time.

Substitute 'sudo' in step f) for 'su -c' or similar if you
do not use sudo.

If you already have gaim installed, remove it before step
f).

If you want to conserve disk-space, keep a copy of what
packages are installed before step c), using "dpkg
--get-selections". You can then revert the package database
to this state using "dpkg --set-selections" followed by
"dpkg -r -a".  You'd do these steps before f).

--
Jon Dowland