Re: lenny: dri stopped working (nvidia)

On Wed July 11 2007 20:57, David Fox wrote:
> > It is worth a try; if that doesn't work then you can also try to run the
> > nvidia installer script again. When I was still using the nvidia
> > installer I had to run it again whenever xserver-xorg-core was upgraded.
>
> I finally got around to trying this again ;).
>
> No go on the reinstall, in fact, it failed with a couple of error messages,
> seems to
> have clobbered libgl.so.1 in the process, causing me to have to reinstall
> it and X along in the process. Additionally, the nvidia driver is not
> installed, and I have to limp along with the 'nv' driver (sniff).
>
> Along the way, it complains about libglx.so not being a symlink. Maybe I
> should try the
> "debian way" - and I forget exactly how that is done :(.

The debian way is to use module-assistant

m-a prepare
m-a a-i nvidia

The kernel in lenny changed recently to 2.6.21. I had problems building the
nvidia module because of paravirt_ops being a GPL-only export in that kernel
(it's not in kernel 2.6.22 now in experimental) on the i386 box (no problem
on amd64) You may need to build a custom kernel with paravirt_ops disabled to
build the nvidia module in testing ATM.

> The installer (on the nvidia run file) says also that it was writing to an
> installer log and I don't see where that log is, which of course would
> probably help me getting the system back to a state where I can use the
> accelerated features of my card.

IIRC it's at /var/log/nvidia-installer.log (roughly, it's been a while).