Re: system resource measurement

On 07/10/2007 09:17 PM, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  Is there a command line utility for system resource
> measurement?  I have an old Pentium III (450 MHz, 384 MB ram) and
> normally I use gnome, but I've been experimenting with other desktop
> environments and/or window managers.  I'm not convinced that I'm any
> better off though (my computer still sometimes freezes, especially when
> using mplayer, even when using a supposedly low resources window
> manager).
>
> The one that seems the best is ion2, but I also like my
> fluxbox setup, and xfce is okay.  I have fluxbox set up with idesk, and
> with a kmix applet.  I'm not entirely convinced I'm saving any
> resources with these setups, and if I'm not, I may as well go back to
> gnome (which I do find the easiest to navigate).
>
> So, if you have a suggestion for how I may gauge the different desktop
> setups for how well they use system resources, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Maybe your real question is, "How to get better performance?"  My setup
on one box is similar to yours.

This old desktop Pentium III (500 mhz, 256 mb) suits me just fine
running etch with openbox and gnome-settings-daemon; that's it!  As I
type this reply in icedove, gkrellm shows 93 processes running including
[on screen] firefox (2 windows, 6 tabs open), docker, gaim, gkrellm, 3
aterm windows, fspanel, xpad.  Oh, and currently a whopping 68K of swap
is used.  The nvidia graphics card has all of 32 mb and uses the nv driver.

mplayer works full screen fine but can pause momentarily if large email
is fetched by icedove or fetchyahoo.

Regards,
Ralph Katz