system resource measurement

Hello.  Is there a command line utility for system resource
measurement?  I have an old Pentium III (450 MHz, 384 MB ram) and
normally I use gnome, but I've been experimenting with other desktop
environments and/or window managers.  I'm not convinced that I'm any
better off though (my computer still sometimes freezes, especially when
using mplayer, even when using a supposedly low resources window
manager).

The one that seems the best is ion2, but I also like my
fluxbox setup, and xfce is okay.  I have fluxbox set up with idesk, and
with a kmix applet.  I'm not entirely convinced I'm saving any
resources with these setups, and if I'm not, I may as well go back to
gnome (which I do find the easiest to navigate).

So, if you have a suggestion for how I may gauge the different desktop
setups for how well they use system resources, I'd appreciate it.

Mark